Search This Blog

Monday, October 31, 2011

New Beginnings- The Trilogy

Lesson Learned: If you build it, they will come.

Never saw the movie so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. But people always ask me, "How do you get clients? I'm an artist and I can't find work". Well, my point from that stolen movie line is that there is always work out there for an artist.
Now don't get me wrong, it's hard work. It takes a combination of a lot of individual factors that need to be executed in synchronicity for any kind of positive result. What are those factors? Glad I asked for you. Here are 5 little pointers:

1) Be good at what you do. Plain and simple. If you have enough skill people are going to want to hire you. Same as being the pretty girl in a club..you're going to get hit on.
1a) If you're not so "pretty"...be honest with yourself and work at it. Practice, practice, practice.

2) Be sociable. Let's say you're not so pretty..or that you are...either way, you have to work the scene. Advertise yourself where-ever you can so people can see what you have to offer. Be it Penciljack, deviantart, facebook, conventions...get out there and be as approachable, persistent, consistent, and involved as you can be. The more people see you the more suitors you will receive.

3) Build a positive relationship. Ok, you've got all of these pursuers and a few stick out. Make sure you show you have some substance by treating the person right. Call when you're supposed to call; try your darndest to hit deadlines(still working on this one). Be on point, in other words.

4) Put out. No, perv! Not like that...that just means to bring your best stuff to the table at all times. What's the point of you doing all that extensive whining about not getting clients, to turn around and deliver sloppy work? Give 'em the night of their life.

5)And last but not least, learn from each relationship. So guess what, you got an artistic STD from that last job. So what?! Now you know what to do in the next one. Maybe you learnt that the guy with the rolex and the mercedez lives at home with his mom...now you know not to go for the flashy client with the promises of a movie deal and Oprah's job, but maybe the quiet one that pays for your convention. You don't always have to jump for the big stuff...don't be afraid to work your way up with smaller clients.
(See my last blog about "protecting" yourself.)

Well, weirded out by this blog? Maybe I'm into Halloween after all. In that case, I'll leave you with a fittingly demonic piece from my latest project: A Crown Of Horns. It's from the illustrated novel written by my newest client John F Cullins, and now that "New Beginnings" is done, I'll be talking about Crown of Horns next blog on Friday.

A Crown of Horns Chap 1 poster. Colors by Renee Clarke

Thanks for reading peeps..I hope my little rants help.
Peace.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks luv. Now when are you going to post some blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A twisted mind such as mine can't put out such troubling thoughts ya know. I wouldn't want to scare anyone *wink* though I may post some poetry....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say anyone who can't handle your "twisted mind" shouldn't read it then. lol But I'll settle for some poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll definitely post some for ya! I started a blog page and never wrote a word in it so I'll put some there and tag you when I am done! And usually when folks get a glimpse of my twisted mind 96% run the other way! Its all good though cause I'm special is all not meant to be understood by all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://solitudes-twisted-thoughts.blogspot.com

    Check it out...Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even got a poem up there for ya as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's what's up luv..do your thang!

    ReplyDelete