Search This Blog

Thursday, October 3, 2013

P.O.D Day 3 Avengers Blank Cover

Annnddd we're back with another edition of my special "Artpiece-of-the-Day" goal. Every day for the month of October I'll be posting a new piece of art, plus providing some behind the scenes sketches and commentary. Each pic will be as "complete" as I can make it, depending on what was called for with the project, meaning some pieces may be more elaborate than others, but the ultimate goal here is for me to be more productive.

On the menu today is a blank cover commish, where the client wanted to see a wrecked assortment of Avengers. Specifically, Avengers weapons: Iron Man's helmet, Cap's damaged shield, etc.



With blank covers it would definitely save me a lot of time just doing the front, but my masochistic side just can't seem to leave well enough alone, and I pretty much always do a double spread. With this cover I felt just having the weapons laying there would be pretty boring by itself, so I thought it would be cool to have some sort of villain in the piece somewhere who viewers could speculate would be the cause of the destruction. And since Thanos is on everyone's minds nowadays, I figured, why not.


 For some reason this cover took me FOREVER to finish. Besides life getting in the way, I just wasn't feeling motivated. On top of that, the bird's eye view perspective shot of Thanos' legs gave me HELL to get right. And I still don't think I achieved my goal. 





I tried to "modernize" Thanos' look a little, and I plan on doing a Thanos solo print at some point. Yes, I'm a sellout. sigh.
I cheated a bit with a few things. One being the Falcon's wings. I know they're supposed to be holographic "hardlight" and they disappear when not activated, but I wanted  people to know it was the Falcon. Also, I felt it would show Thanos' disrespect and power a little more if he were standing on someone.
The second cheat is with the Hulk. Once again, if he's unconscious he should automatically revert back to "puny Banner" but I figured people wouldn't know who he was.

Bonus points: did you spot Thor's hands and Widow's bracelets? All in all I kinda like how it came out.

Well, another one down. Thanks for reading and please feel free to leave any comments or critiques.

Peace
S

No comments:

Post a Comment